Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- as modifier ‘bhindi bhaji’Indian term for okra
- ‘Call it gumbo, bamya, lady's fingers, bhindi, quingombo or a half-dozen other names, okra is an annual vegetable usually thought of as a Southern plant.’
- ‘Over the weeks, they prepared and sampled baingan bartha, peas, cabbage, bhindi cooked in Indian style, sambar, rasam, various types of salads, upuma, vegetable pulao, curd and occasional sweet dishes.’
- ‘Last year, vegetables like parmal and bhindi sold in the marketplace were found to have been chemically treated to enhance their natural colouring.’
- ‘There are 5 vegetarian specialties including an interesting bhindi masala and an aloo gobi masala (potato and cauliflower curry).’
- ‘Besides the samosa, you'll find other fried concoctions like the bhindi main dish.’
From Hindi bhiṇḍī.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.