Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- [as modifier] ‘bhindi bhaji’Indian term for okra
- ‘Besides the samosa, you'll find other fried concoctions like the bhindi main dish.’
- ‘Call it gumbo, bamya, lady's fingers, bhindi, quingombo or a half-dozen other names, okra is an annual vegetable usually thought of as a Southern plant.’
- ‘Last year, vegetables like parmal and bhindi sold in the marketplace were found to have been chemically treated to enhance their natural colouring.’
- ‘There are 5 vegetarian specialties including an interesting bhindi masala and an aloo gobi masala (potato and cauliflower curry).’
- ‘Over the weeks, they prepared and sampled baingan bartha, peas, cabbage, bhindi cooked in Indian style, sambar, rasam, various types of salads, upuma, vegetable pulao, curd and occasional sweet dishes.’
From Hindi bhiṇḍī.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.