One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Okra.‘the basmati rice that came with the bhindi was underwhelming’as modifier ‘bhindi bhaji’
- ‘Over the weeks, they prepared and sampled baingan bartha, peas, cabbage, bhindi cooked in Indian style, sambar, rasam, various types of salads, upuma, vegetable pulao, curd and occasional sweet dishes.’
- ‘There are 5 vegetarian specialties including an interesting bhindi masala and an aloo gobi masala (potato and cauliflower curry).’
- ‘Besides the samosa, you'll find other fried concoctions like the bhindi main dish.’
- ‘Last year, vegetables like parmal and bhindi sold in the marketplace were found to have been chemically treated to enhance their natural colouring.’
- ‘Call it gumbo, bamya, lady's fingers, bhindi, quingombo or a half-dozen other names, okra is an annual vegetable usually thought of as a Southern plant.’
From Hindi bhiṇḍī.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.