One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Buddhist monk or devotee.
- ‘This occurs when the two bhikkhu brothers question the Buddha on the appropriateness of using local languages for the exposition of the dhamma.’
- ‘At the same time, we should keep an eye open for capable bhikkhus enrolled in these programmes who display the qualities needed to propagate the Dhamma in the West.’
- ‘The Buddha had clearly said that his religion depended on bhikkhus, bhikkhunis, upasakas, and upasikas.’
- ‘He understands that laypeople can practise the Dhamma, but he, as a bhikkhu, has many tasks to do which make it difficult to practise.’
- ‘One bhikkhu recounted how one day he was following a line of practitioners of various Buddhist traditions and noticed a lady was handing items to everyone.’
Pali, from Sanskrit bhikṣú ‘beg’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.