One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in Indian cuisine) a small flat cake or ball of vegetables, fried in batter.
- ‘She was not disappointed and the aloo chat (potato based dish) and the onion bhaji (an onion battered creation) were heartily endorsed.’
- ‘Little stalls on wheels serve up ‘tiffin’: banana chips, grilled corn on the cob on a stick, vegetable bhajis, bel puri, little rice batter puffs with a stew of channa poured into them.’
- ‘Then you could move onto some deliciously cooked and wonderfully arranged bhajis, shish kebabs or samosas.’
- ‘Another shop donated a huge tray of samosas and bhajis to the campaigners.’
- ‘Mixed Crispy Platter consists of two vegetable samosas, four vegetable spring rolls, two onion bhajis, homemade mango chutney, cucumber raita and a salad garnish.’
- ‘We opted to start with two entrees with enough of each for the six of us to share - honey cauliflower because I insisted and onion bhaji because we all had a hankering for it.’
- ‘The bhaji, packed with mushrooms and spinach, was particularly good.’
- ‘There were about half-a-dozen other starters on offer, with the bite-size mushroom pakoras and onion bhajis being especially nice and not too greasy.’
- ‘An alternative could have been onion bhaji with minted yoghurt.’
- ‘The mushroom bhaji is perhaps a little bland, but I love the cauliflower version - and the nan bread is divine, fresh, warm, light and fluffy.’
- ‘After 90 minutes waiting for the celebrity cook to whip his spatula out, the lure of onion bhajis proved irresistible.’
- ‘Her starter was two light, succulent onion bhaji with Vegetable Kori with dinky little metal dishes of lentils and chickpeas with pilau rice and a huge naan bread.’
- ‘We began the meal proper with the onion bhaji, deep fried onion balls which were very pleasant, then followed this with the tandoori chicken which came in large tasty pieces with accompanying onions.’
- ‘The vegetable samosa was tasty and I'm sure the onion bhaji would have been about as good - if it had been cooked just a tiny bit longer.’
- ‘My friend was equally satisfied with his mixed starter of pakora, onion bhaji, breaded garlic mushroom and side salad.’
- ‘There was also a good selection of vegetarian meals, including mixed vegetable curry, mushroom bhaji and Saag aloo.’
- ‘In the meantime, check out her restaurant for excellent curries, samosas, bhajis and, yes, pakora.’
- ‘My wife, Jayne, enjoyed the mini savoury selection which consisted of crunchy onion bhajis, aloo tikkas, spinach pakoras and vegetable samosas all deep fried and served with two dips.’
- ‘The menu offered a large range of starters and while I tackled a mixed kebab, Matt chose the onion bhaji.’
- ‘There were sausages, chicken legs, pizza slices, garlic bread, spare ribs, spring rolls, onion bhajis and a complete range of vegetarian alternatives.’
- 1.1 An Indian dish of fried vegetables.
- ‘We also ordered a mixed vegetable bhaji side dish plus a portion of pilau rice each.’
- ‘I followed this with a karahai methi keema and a range of side dishes including saag paneer and brinjal bhaji which were simply sumptuous.’
- ‘Stir bhaji occasionally until okra is cooked and water extracted from okra is vaporized.’
- ‘He went for special vegetable thali from the specialities menu, which consisted of a vegetable curry, mushroom bhaji, tarka dahl (a lentil dish) and vegetable pilau rice.’
From Hindi bhājī ‘fried vegetables’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.