One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘They called themselves bhagi bhai (rebel brother) and claimed that well dressed people out there in society were the safed daku (white bandit).’
- ‘He also has a younger bhai, Apoorva.’
- ‘More and more bhais and behens are living in different cities - even continents.’
- ‘Bhai being elder bhai always got to be the Pakistan team while I played all the rest of teams at different times.’
- ‘Bimal is acclaimed as one of India's best midfielders, while his younger bhai Birendra is a forward.’
- 1.1 A friendly form of address for a man.
- 1.2-bhai Added to proper names to form an affectionate form of address to an older person.‘Abdulbhai’
- ‘Morarji bhai was a true Gandhian.’
- ‘Kanu bhai once even made a three-hour movie of Gandhiji.’
- ‘However, the joy of being corrected by his five-year-old whenever he deliberately falters over his bedtime prayers is compensation enough for Altaf bhai.’
- ‘Azhar bhai seems to be suing every person who says his name!’
- ‘Earlier, I could never give my best because I knew Anil bhai would sweep the batting aside.’
From Hindi bhāi, based on Sanskrit bhrātṛ ‘brother’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.