One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘He also has a younger bhai, Apoorva.’
- ‘More and more bhais and behens are living in different cities - even continents.’
- ‘Bhai being elder bhai always got to be the Pakistan team while I played all the rest of teams at different times.’
- ‘Bimal is acclaimed as one of India's best midfielders, while his younger bhai Birendra is a forward.’
- ‘They called themselves bhagi bhai (rebel brother) and claimed that well dressed people out there in society were the safed daku (white bandit).’
- 1.1 A friendly form of address for a man.
- 1.2-bhai Added to proper names to form an affectionate form of address to an older person.‘Abdulbhai’
- ‘Earlier, I could never give my best because I knew Anil bhai would sweep the batting aside.’
- ‘However, the joy of being corrected by his five-year-old whenever he deliberately falters over his bedtime prayers is compensation enough for Altaf bhai.’
- ‘Azhar bhai seems to be suing every person who says his name!’
- ‘Kanu bhai once even made a three-hour movie of Gandhiji.’
- ‘Morarji bhai was a true Gandhian.’
From Hindi bhāi, based on Sanskrit bhrātṛ ‘brother’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.