One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In the remote outback.‘he was born not in the capital city, but somewhere out beyond the black stump’
- ‘Your average sheila and bloke, be it in Sydney or beyond the black stump, doesn't have a lot of time for earbashers.’
- ‘The land beyond the black stump lay two hundred miles to the west.’
- ‘We want to head out way beyond the black stump and see the National Park.’
- ‘Maybe it's all right that he is as beyond the black stump when it comes to common sense.’
- ‘I found myself at an event with no working Wi-Fi and the kind of mobile reception you'd expect to get beyond the black stump.’
- ‘If it was a little further west it could fairly be described as being beyond the black stump.’
- ‘Soil microbiology may lie beyond the black stump separating chemistry from its cousin biology.’
- ‘Anything west of here is beyond the black stump.’
- ‘Historians have had little to say about the lands that stretch beyond the black stump.’
- ‘I've been in Australia beyond the black stump for a month now.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.