One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In the remote outback.‘he was born not in the capital city, but somewhere out beyond the black stump’
- ‘I've been in Australia beyond the black stump for a month now.’
- ‘I found myself at an event with no working Wi-Fi and the kind of mobile reception you'd expect to get beyond the black stump.’
- ‘Soil microbiology may lie beyond the black stump separating chemistry from its cousin biology.’
- ‘We want to head out way beyond the black stump and see the National Park.’
- ‘Anything west of here is beyond the black stump.’
- ‘Your average sheila and bloke, be it in Sydney or beyond the black stump, doesn't have a lot of time for earbashers.’
- ‘The land beyond the black stump lay two hundred miles to the west.’
- ‘Historians have had little to say about the lands that stretch beyond the black stump.’
- ‘If it was a little further west it could fairly be described as being beyond the black stump.’
- ‘Maybe it's all right that he is as beyond the black stump when it comes to common sense.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.