One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Astonishingly great, good, or bad; incredible.‘riches beyond belief’
unbelievable, beyond belief, hard to believe, scarcely credible, unconvincing, far-fetched, strained, laboured, implausible, improbable, highly unlikely, not in the least likely, questionable, dubious, doubtful, inconceivable, unthinkable, unimaginable, impossible, astonishing, astounding, breathtaking, staggering, absurd, preposterous, phenomenal, extraordinaryView synonyms
- ‘It is almost beyond belief, but it appears that exactly the same thing is happening again.’
- ‘Six lectures a week is not bad by today's standards, but not to have a tutor is beyond belief.’
- ‘My life has been changed beyond belief and that doesn't seem to be taken into account.’
- ‘One I fell in love with, the other excites me beyond belief, makes me think about my life, and even talk about it.’
- ‘And the manner of almost all those defeats was so cruelly unfortunate as to be beyond belief.’
- ‘The fact that there is still no final decision on where and whether this match will take place is beyond belief.’
- ‘The vibration from the speakers and the heat from the crowd were almost beyond belief.’
- ‘We drove the six hours back on Monday evening and I was exhausted beyond belief.’
- ‘The victim is quite obviously blind and for the robbers to target him in this way is beyond belief.’
- ‘His sudden death has shocked us beyond belief.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.