One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Astonishingly great, good, or bad; incredible.‘riches beyond belief’
unbelievable, beyond belief, hard to believe, scarcely credible, unconvincing, far-fetched, strained, laboured, implausible, improbable, highly unlikely, not in the least likely, questionable, dubious, doubtful, inconceivable, unthinkable, unimaginable, impossible, astonishing, astounding, breathtaking, staggering, absurd, preposterous, phenomenal, extraordinaryView synonyms
- ‘And the manner of almost all those defeats was so cruelly unfortunate as to be beyond belief.’
- ‘It is almost beyond belief, but it appears that exactly the same thing is happening again.’
- ‘The vibration from the speakers and the heat from the crowd were almost beyond belief.’
- ‘Six lectures a week is not bad by today's standards, but not to have a tutor is beyond belief.’
- ‘The fact that there is still no final decision on where and whether this match will take place is beyond belief.’
- ‘His sudden death has shocked us beyond belief.’
- ‘One I fell in love with, the other excites me beyond belief, makes me think about my life, and even talk about it.’
- ‘The victim is quite obviously blind and for the robbers to target him in this way is beyond belief.’
- ‘We drove the six hours back on Monday evening and I was exhausted beyond belief.’
- ‘My life has been changed beyond belief and that doesn't seem to be taken into account.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.