Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
So valuable that no price can be stated:‘the memories they shared were beyond price’
of incalculable value, of incalculable worth, of inestimable value, of inestimable worth, of immeasurable value, of immeasurable worth, invaluable, priceless, without price, worth its weight in gold, worth a king's ransomirreplaceable, incomparable, unparalleled, expensive, costly, high-priced, at a premium, rich, dear, rare, choice, fine, exquisite, precious, treasured, prized, cherishedView synonyms
- ‘After all, the integrity of the nation's economic statistics gathering institutions is beyond price: Many thousands of businesspeople use those statistics as a resource every day.’
- ‘‘You are,’ my mother would say, ‘the queen of the world, the jewel of the lotus, the pearl without price, my secret treasure.’’
- ‘He never complained about dialysis, arguing that the months gained were beyond price, beyond inconvenience.’
- ‘But what people value and the way that they interact with a product goes beyond price.’
- ‘The rewards for being a family physician are often without price.’
- ‘The mementoes and film were beyond price - yet useless to anyone else.’
- ‘Most people who found a faded suitcase in the attic would probably consider it worthless, but for Michel Levi-Leleu, the Frenchman claiming the relic, it is beyond price.’
- ‘That she completed the course gave her an emotional gift beyond price.’
- ‘We've also learned people are more important than things; good neighbours, friends and relatives are without price; and memories are more important than possessions.’
- ‘What you will gain is your people's confidence in your fairness and honesty, an asset beyond price to a manager.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.