One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
If a rival or enemy shows one generosity or kindness, one should be suspicious of their motives.
- ‘The only antidote to this kind of thing that I can think of, is the folklore wisdom contained in "Beware the Greeks bearing gifts."’
- ‘During the discussion in the Senate and House, the principle, "Fear the Greeks bearing gifts," was introduced and reiterated with emphasis.’
- ‘Beware the Greeks bearing gifts, he cries, hurling a spear into its side.’
- ‘Government also seems to have realised that it should beware the Greeks bearing gifts.’
- ‘As the measure has been drawn by the most experienced and devoted friends of the reform, there is no occasion to fear the "Greeks bearing gifts" in this instance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.