Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A gear working another gear at an angle to it by means of bevel wheels.
- ‘The delivering program includes spur gears, bevel gears, planetary gears, and slewing gears, to name just a few.’
- ‘The drive is taken from a cross-shaft between the two - reduction and bevel gearing transmitting the power to a longitudinal shaft, in turn passing the drive to the axles, again through bevel gears.’
- ‘The propeller-shaft continues forward along the broken-open keel and back inside the wreck, ending in the engine room with a bevel gear.’
- ‘The trucks have crown and bevel gear sets which are connected to the motors by automotive style driveshafts.’
- ‘The tilting mechanism consisted of a large bevel gear segment bolted to the cross-head and positioned within the frame of the machine.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.