Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A gear working another gear at an angle to it by means of bevel wheels.
- ‘The trucks have crown and bevel gear sets which are connected to the motors by automotive style driveshafts.’
- ‘The propeller-shaft continues forward along the broken-open keel and back inside the wreck, ending in the engine room with a bevel gear.’
- ‘The drive is taken from a cross-shaft between the two - reduction and bevel gearing transmitting the power to a longitudinal shaft, in turn passing the drive to the axles, again through bevel gears.’
- ‘The delivering program includes spur gears, bevel gears, planetary gears, and slewing gears, to name just a few.’
- ‘The tilting mechanism consisted of a large bevel gear segment bolted to the cross-head and positioned within the frame of the machine.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.