One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synchrotron used to accelerate protons to energies in the billion electronvolt range.
- ‘The bevatron will strike far deeper into the atomic nucleus, where matter and energy lie closely twined together.’
- ‘Thus the volume on Mechanics of the Berkeley physics course presents a whole set of photographs on bevatrons, radiotelescopes, and other big machines from laboratories belonging to certain multinational companies.’
- ‘Though the United States has the biggest of the bevatrons - the Berkeley bevatron is 6.2 bev - the Russians have a 10 bev accelerator in construction which, when it is completed, will be the world's largest.’
- ‘This decades-old machine has long since been surpassed by bevatrons and linear accelerators.’
- ‘In this article we shall first discuss the principles from which the bevatron is to be constructed and trace a cycle of operation of an ideal machine in some detail, and then go into the question of whether a real machine can be constructed which will approximate the ideal case closely enough.’
1940s: from BeV + -tron.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.