Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A creamy sauce made with butter, onions, and vinegar or lemon juice, usually served with seafood dishes.
- ‘I had the fresh fish of the day, which was a simple plaice dish served with beurre blanc.’
- ‘Roast monkfish with spiced beurre blanc and aubergine is a popular dish that I put on in the summer months.’
- ‘Try the roast monkfish with spiced beurre blanc and aubergine.’
- ‘Halibut with beurre blanc, from the list of plats du jour, may sound unadventurous, but there was nothing dull about it, especially since a subtle hint of fennel enhanced the dish without ever threatening to overpower it.’
- ‘Who, for instance, would devote four days to making ‘Salmon gravlax and cheddar terrine with beurre blanc sauce’ for 48 people?’
- ‘If that same marinated and sauteed piece of fish were finished with a beurre blanc or cream sauce, the butter or cream would be the bridge ingredient.’
- ‘Drizzle beurre blanc and drops of chili and cilantro oil over each wonton.’
- ‘I thought the most delicious item, by far, was a delicate, crispy bass with duck crackling, jeruslaem artichoke and a mild ginger-orange beurre blanc which has since been haunting me with an insatiable yearning for more.’
- ‘We decided to taste the whole menu, so I started with a carpaccio of beef with warm potato salad, parmesan shavings and horseradish cream, while Michael opted for the warm smoked salmon latkes with endive marmalade and a caper beurre blanc.’
- ‘Toss to coat and hold in beurre blanc until flesh is just firm.’
- ‘Liver is not everyone's favourite and that left the farmed salmon with an asparagus timbale, glazed baby vegetables, saffron potatoes and chive beurre blanc.’
- ‘This sieved sauce tastes like a thick beurre blanc.’
- ‘The dish was rescued from total blandness by a nicely assertive ginger beurre blanc.’
- ‘Once you've learned to make Sauteed Sea Bass with Beurre Blanc, you have the knowledge to make a beurre blanc for any occasion or dish.’
- ‘At the top right-hand corner of the plate is a beurre blanc made with Meyer lemons, and at the bottom of the plate is a totally different butter sauce made with truffles, vanilla, and white chocolate.’
- ‘The scallops are slightly pan-fried and served with a beurre blanc flavored with caramelized lemon peels.’
- ‘I sampled a dozen fish variations, and grouper shone with wilted greens and lemon butter as brightly as it did with crunchy fresh peas, carrots, and rose beurre blanc.’
- ‘Hot starters are next with New Zealand mussels, a Brussels asparagus and a prawns ‘Symphony’ served with black caviar beurre blanc sauce and a curry rice tart.’
- ‘We ordered the white asparagus and morel soufflé in a globe artichoke with truffle beurre blanc.’
- ‘A fresh lemony parsley beurre blanc on the side added a sharp dimension to throw the whole dish into relief.’
French, literally ‘white butter’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.