One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A creamy sauce made with butter, onions, and vinegar or lemon juice, usually served with seafood dishes.
- ‘I had the fresh fish of the day, which was a simple plaice dish served with beurre blanc.’
- ‘I sampled a dozen fish variations, and grouper shone with wilted greens and lemon butter as brightly as it did with crunchy fresh peas, carrots, and rose beurre blanc.’
- ‘We decided to taste the whole menu, so I started with a carpaccio of beef with warm potato salad, parmesan shavings and horseradish cream, while Michael opted for the warm smoked salmon latkes with endive marmalade and a caper beurre blanc.’
- ‘We ordered the white asparagus and morel soufflé in a globe artichoke with truffle beurre blanc.’
- ‘Drizzle beurre blanc and drops of chili and cilantro oil over each wonton.’
- ‘Once you've learned to make Sauteed Sea Bass with Beurre Blanc, you have the knowledge to make a beurre blanc for any occasion or dish.’
- ‘This sieved sauce tastes like a thick beurre blanc.’
- ‘Toss to coat and hold in beurre blanc until flesh is just firm.’
- ‘The dish was rescued from total blandness by a nicely assertive ginger beurre blanc.’
- ‘At the top right-hand corner of the plate is a beurre blanc made with Meyer lemons, and at the bottom of the plate is a totally different butter sauce made with truffles, vanilla, and white chocolate.’
- ‘Try the roast monkfish with spiced beurre blanc and aubergine.’
- ‘Halibut with beurre blanc, from the list of plats du jour, may sound unadventurous, but there was nothing dull about it, especially since a subtle hint of fennel enhanced the dish without ever threatening to overpower it.’
- ‘Roast monkfish with spiced beurre blanc and aubergine is a popular dish that I put on in the summer months.’
- ‘A fresh lemony parsley beurre blanc on the side added a sharp dimension to throw the whole dish into relief.’
- ‘Who, for instance, would devote four days to making ‘Salmon gravlax and cheddar terrine with beurre blanc sauce’ for 48 people?’
- ‘Liver is not everyone's favourite and that left the farmed salmon with an asparagus timbale, glazed baby vegetables, saffron potatoes and chive beurre blanc.’
- ‘If that same marinated and sauteed piece of fish were finished with a beurre blanc or cream sauce, the butter or cream would be the bridge ingredient.’
- ‘Hot starters are next with New Zealand mussels, a Brussels asparagus and a prawns ‘Symphony’ served with black caviar beurre blanc sauce and a curry rice tart.’
- ‘The scallops are slightly pan-fried and served with a beurre blanc flavored with caramelized lemon peels.’
- ‘I thought the most delicious item, by far, was a delicate, crispy bass with duck crackling, jeruslaem artichoke and a mild ginger-orange beurre blanc which has since been haunting me with an insatiable yearning for more.’
French, literally ‘white butter’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.