Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A creamy sauce made with butter, onions, and vinegar or lemon juice, usually served with seafood dishes.
- ‘At the top right-hand corner of the plate is a beurre blanc made with Meyer lemons, and at the bottom of the plate is a totally different butter sauce made with truffles, vanilla, and white chocolate.’
- ‘We ordered the white asparagus and morel soufflé in a globe artichoke with truffle beurre blanc.’
- ‘If that same marinated and sauteed piece of fish were finished with a beurre blanc or cream sauce, the butter or cream would be the bridge ingredient.’
- ‘Roast monkfish with spiced beurre blanc and aubergine is a popular dish that I put on in the summer months.’
- ‘Try the roast monkfish with spiced beurre blanc and aubergine.’
- ‘Hot starters are next with New Zealand mussels, a Brussels asparagus and a prawns ‘Symphony’ served with black caviar beurre blanc sauce and a curry rice tart.’
- ‘I sampled a dozen fish variations, and grouper shone with wilted greens and lemon butter as brightly as it did with crunchy fresh peas, carrots, and rose beurre blanc.’
- ‘The dish was rescued from total blandness by a nicely assertive ginger beurre blanc.’
- ‘I had the fresh fish of the day, which was a simple plaice dish served with beurre blanc.’
- ‘Halibut with beurre blanc, from the list of plats du jour, may sound unadventurous, but there was nothing dull about it, especially since a subtle hint of fennel enhanced the dish without ever threatening to overpower it.’
- ‘Once you've learned to make Sauteed Sea Bass with Beurre Blanc, you have the knowledge to make a beurre blanc for any occasion or dish.’
- ‘Drizzle beurre blanc and drops of chili and cilantro oil over each wonton.’
- ‘A fresh lemony parsley beurre blanc on the side added a sharp dimension to throw the whole dish into relief.’
- ‘This sieved sauce tastes like a thick beurre blanc.’
- ‘Who, for instance, would devote four days to making ‘Salmon gravlax and cheddar terrine with beurre blanc sauce’ for 48 people?’
- ‘The scallops are slightly pan-fried and served with a beurre blanc flavored with caramelized lemon peels.’
- ‘Toss to coat and hold in beurre blanc until flesh is just firm.’
- ‘Liver is not everyone's favourite and that left the farmed salmon with an asparagus timbale, glazed baby vegetables, saffron potatoes and chive beurre blanc.’
- ‘I thought the most delicious item, by far, was a delicate, crispy bass with duck crackling, jeruslaem artichoke and a mild ginger-orange beurre blanc which has since been haunting me with an insatiable yearning for more.’
- ‘We decided to taste the whole menu, so I started with a carpaccio of beef with warm potato salad, parmesan shavings and horseradish cream, while Michael opted for the warm smoked salmon latkes with endive marmalade and a caper beurre blanc.’
French, literally white butter.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.