One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An establishment licensed to handle bets on races and other events.
- ‘These exchanges are the most revolutionary phenomenon to hit betting since the opening of betting shops.’
- ‘Millions of pounds will be staked on course and at betting shops.’
- ‘He was known to be a regular gambler at casinos and betting shops, went to the gym daily and won karate trophies.’
- ‘There are around 8,200 betting shops in UK so bookmaking is a substantial business, important to the British economy.’
- ‘‘I was the school bookmaker, worked in betting shops and racecourses,’ he says.’
- ‘I love it, and racecourses, racing stables, horsey pubs and betting shops are all veritable cauldrons, bubbling away with varyingly reliable tips and other inside information.’
- ‘UK bookmakers, casinos and betting shops make billions of pounds every year.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Britain's bookmakers are considering closing betting offices on the day of the Queen Mother's funeral as a mark of respect.’
- ‘The internet also enables those who would not normally be at home in a betting shop to place bets with relative ease.’
- ‘Booker's group, planning to use Western Union to compile off-track bets, sought to establish 139 betting offices to be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.’
- ‘The Internet is as much to blame for the growth in gambling as more traditional establishments such as bricks-and mortar casinos, betting shops and bingo halls.’
- ‘You can imagine the laughter when it came in first at 50 to 1; my only regret was not taking that bet to the betting shop!’
- ‘About 70 per cent of UK residents gamble, mostly on the lottery or at betting offices, according to Merrill Lynch & Co.’
- ‘Bookies will also benefit, with licensed betting offices able to offer a wider choice of food and drink, though not to serve alcohol.’
- ‘It is Ireland's biggest bookmaker, with 161 licensed betting shops.’
- ‘The abolition was moved forward to October, and punters striking a wager in one of Britain's 7,000 off-course betting shops will not pay tax on their bets or winnings.’
- ‘Before the introduction of the National Lottery, gambling in the United Kingdom was largely restricted to betting shops, racecourses, and casinos, venues that appeal mostly to men.’
- ‘Extra greyhound meetings and numbers draws in British betting offices.’
- ‘Money launderers may also operate behind the cover of cash-intensive businesses, such as casinos, betting shops, amusement arcades and foreign exchange bureaux.’
- ‘The roll-out of the licensed betting office estate in clusters across London is continuing in a measured manner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.