Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Formal engagement to be married; engagement.
engagement, betrothment, marriage contractView synonyms
- ‘Food is important at ceremonial occasions such as naming ceremonies, betrothals, marriages, and deaths.’
- ‘Hey, I've arranged a lot of betrothals, you can't expect me to remember each one!’
- ‘Uncertainty plagued her, following every move she made, surfacing every time anyone mentioned her betrothal.’
- ‘She had seemed so girlish, chattering on about clothes and gossiping about the recent betrothals.’
- ‘From the moment they were considered ready for betrothal, women were under an enormous amount of societal pressure to marry.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.