One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Formal engagement to be married; engagement.
engagement, betrothment, marriage contractView synonyms
- ‘From the moment they were considered ready for betrothal, women were under an enormous amount of societal pressure to marry.’
- ‘Food is important at ceremonial occasions such as naming ceremonies, betrothals, marriages, and deaths.’
- ‘Uncertainty plagued her, following every move she made, surfacing every time anyone mentioned her betrothal.’
- ‘She had seemed so girlish, chattering on about clothes and gossiping about the recent betrothals.’
- ‘Hey, I've arranged a lot of betrothals, you can't expect me to remember each one!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.