One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Formal engagement to be married; engagement.
engagement, betrothment, marriage contractView synonyms
- ‘Hey, I've arranged a lot of betrothals, you can't expect me to remember each one!’
- ‘Uncertainty plagued her, following every move she made, surfacing every time anyone mentioned her betrothal.’
- ‘Food is important at ceremonial occasions such as naming ceremonies, betrothals, marriages, and deaths.’
- ‘From the moment they were considered ready for betrothal, women were under an enormous amount of societal pressure to marry.’
- ‘She had seemed so girlish, chattering on about clothes and gossiping about the recent betrothals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.