Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A high-quality format for video cameras and recorders.[as modifier] ‘Betacam recorders’
- ‘The version shown at this screening was on three Betacam cassettes.’
- ‘Peterson - who shot her film on Betacam for roughly $85,000 of mostly her own money, with some small grants and a research fellowship - has high hopes that her film may influence other such fights throughout the country.’
- ‘The final movie file is transferred to directly to VHS (or if you have access a high band tape format such as Betacam or S-VHS).’
- ‘Then there was the Israeli filmmaker who had shot an entire film on digital Betacam video and transferred it onto celluloid film with hardly any loss in quality.’
- ‘Wishman fans finally tracked her down in Florida and encouraged her to start making movies again on the much less expensive Betacam.’
- ‘Arrangements were made to screen films in all formats - VCD, DVD, Betacam, 16 and 35 mm.’
- ‘We shot on Betacam video, which was the professional format at that time, but it's not nearly as compatible as hi-def or Digibeta or things like that today.’
- ‘Unfortunately the UNSW books weren't weeded before they went up, so we had things like 1978 books on computers in the classroom, and Betacam tapes and ‘How to Build an Ice Skating Rink’.’
- ‘In addition to making the archival master tapes, we also make a copy on Betacam SP (a professional analogue tape format) and a VHS with time code recorded in picture for reference.’
- 1.1[count noun]A camera using the Betacam format.‘the weight of the Betacam on his shoulder’
- ‘We had little cameras, so different from the big Betacam, or over-the-shoulder cameras that can really be intimidating and official.’
- ‘Treading the boards, analysing the Shopping Channel and lugging a Betacam - now there are three professions that offer job security.’
- ‘The Odyssey entourage added to the mess with four surfers, two boats, four cameramen, two lifeguards, an emergency-room doctor, and a plane equipped with a gyro-stabilized Betacam.’
- ‘As she noticed the glimmering red light of the Betacam camera, Neelima's hand unconsciously went up to pat her hair into place.’
- ‘He gives Jonas a state-of-the-art Digicam when Jonas' Betacam is stolen, but cautions him that the opportunity to film everything can be a trap.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.