One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A version of a piece of software that is made available for testing, typically by a limited number of users outside the company that is developing it, before its general release.‘having fooled around with a beta version, I have to say that it's a technical marvel’Compare with alpha version
- ‘One e-mail said the company will ship the first beta version of the software next February.’
- ‘The early beta version included only HyperWord, email, and a few extras.’
- ‘We plan to ship beta versions to our external testers soon.’
- ‘It unveiled the beta version of the site to its 2 million subscribers last week and plans a hard launch within the next couple of weeks.’
- ‘For example, when tweaking the beta version resulted in some shipping delays, the firm e-mailed buyers to explain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.