One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of drugs which prevent the stimulation of the adrenergic receptors responsible for increased cardiac action, used to control heart rhythm, treat angina, and reduce high blood pressure.
- ‘The ACE inhibitor reduced by 55 percent the risk of developing high levels of urine protein and the beta blocker reduced the risk by 35 percent.’
- ‘For example, when you take a beta blocker, your heart rate may not increase in response to a low blood sugar level.’
- ‘Your doctor needs to review your medicines since atenolol is a beta blocker that can aggravate asthma.’
- ‘Like most of my patients with those three problems, I gave myself two diabetes medications, a blood pressure drug, a beta blocker so my doctors would be meeting the standard of care for a heart patient, and a statin.’
- ‘Patients with refractory headaches often require therapy with several agents such as a tricyclic antidepressant plus an anticonvulsant and a beta blocker.’
- ‘Studies have suggested that metoprolol, a selective beta blocker, improves left ventricular function and reduces mortality rates.’
- ‘He was already taking aspirin, a beta blocker, an ACE inhibitor, and a statin.’
- ‘Patients with New York Heart Association class II or III heart failure should also receive a beta blocker (metoprolol, carvedilol or bisoprolol).’
- ‘However, use of diltiazem or verapamil with a beta blocker requires careful monitoring of the heart rate and blood pressure, as this combination has additive effects on the sinus and atrioventricular nodes.’
- ‘An 85-year-old woman who lives alone has a previous history of a minor stroke and has hypertension controlled with a beta blocker.’
- ‘A. Metoprolol is a beta blocker that helps prevent the heart from overworking.’
- ‘You may not be able to take a beta blocker if you have heart or lung problems.’
- ‘Shortness of breath while taking a beta blocker such as atenolol or metoprolol must not be ignored.’
- ‘No one on the beta blocker had a non-fatal heart attack, and only two died of heart problems.’
- ‘Vertiginous migraine headaches generally improve with dietary changes, a tricyclic antidepressant, and a beta blocker or calcium channel blocker.’
- ‘When hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is identified, treatment with a beta blocker or calcium channel blocker can reduce cardiac contractility and limit heart rate during exertion.’
- ‘These patients should be treated with a beta blocker or class I antiarrhythmic drug.’
- ‘Beta blockers are useful in these cases as they act to control ventricular arrhythmias; thus, if atrial fibrillation recurs after conversion to sinus rhythm, the beta blocker will help slow the ventricular rate.’
- ‘The beta blocker dose should be reduced if the decrease in heart rate is symptomatic or is associated with hypoperfusion or higher than first-degree atrioventricular block.’
- ‘Until thioamide therapy reduces thyroid hormone levels, a beta blocker can be used to reduce symptoms.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.