Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organic acid containing a hydroxyl group bonded to the carbon atom next but one to the carboxylic acid group. One of these compounds, salicylic acid, is used in skincare preparations for its exfoliating properties.
- ‘This is a beta-hydroxy acid and will help to turn over dead skin cells and clear blocked pores.’
- ‘Green tea, licorice extract, betahydroxy acids - for every new product, you'll find someone for whom it's the miracle that finally fixed their every skin flaw.’
- ‘Use an exfoliator that contains alpha and beta-hydroxy acids for more effect.’
- ‘When it comes to ingredients, salicylic acid, a beta-hydroxy acid known for its ability to "unglue" sticky dead skin cells, is found in many blackhead treatment products.’
- ‘A dermatologist applies chemicals to the skin, including trichloroacetic acid, high concentrations of alpha hydroxy or beta hydroxy acids, or combinations of all three.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.