One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Savagely cruel or depraved behaviour.‘there seems no end to the bestiality of men’
wickedness, evilness, vileness, baseness, blackness, depravityView synonyms
- ‘The particular horrors of that regime, unique in the methodical coldness of their execution if depressingly familiar in the depths of their bestiality, would seem to have been plumbed and catalogued ad infinitum.’
- ‘Every scene and every person in front of the eyes presents a story of destruction, bestiality and sufferings.’
- ‘That nation was a leader in science, art, education, literature, philosophy, music - but none of this cultural superiority was a guarantee against the cruelty and bestiality that marked its behavior.’
- ‘Forgetting all the principles for which they were fighting in their endless war against their enemy, they have become savage barbarians teetering on the very edge of bestiality.’
- ‘For other 19th century writers, particularly journalists, rats were the expression of man's bestiality to man.’
- ‘What seems to me more important than the ‘Oh ugh’ factor is just how easy it is for standards of law and behavior of slip into bestiality.’
- ‘That nation's great culture of marked politeness, disarming courtesy and remarkable tolerance can give way to sheer bestiality, as the war proved.’
- ‘This level of bestiality and violence has resulted only because criminal acts have gone unpunished over the years by the different political parties that have wielded power.’
- ‘It's been a mode of public conversation which has slowly inured us all against the terrible reality of bombs and guns and the banal bestiality of violence.’
- ‘He seeks, as I understand him, to prove a logical path between the heinous bestiality of the crimes of the woman and her eternal incarceration in the regions of brimstone and fire.’
- ‘An official in the Israeli Foreign Ministry said that ‘once again, the utter bestiality of the terrorists has reared its ugly head on that bus.’’
- ‘We need not be personally introduced to fictional debauchery and bestiality to understand the horror of real occurrences.’
- ‘But in Y2K's dystopian mode, nature is not a land of plenty and ease to which we might return and linger, but rather a howling wilderness, a return to bestiality and the Hobbesian war of all against all.’
- ‘The visual evidence and the verbal testimony of starvation, cruelty and bestiality were overpowering as to leave me a bit sick.’
2Sexual intercourse between a person and an animal.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.