One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A male friend or relative chosen by a bridegroom to assist him at his wedding.
- ‘I recently went dry while giving a best man's speech at my friend's wedding.’
- ‘The film begins with Charles messing up being the best man at a wedding and then putting his foot in it at the reception.’
- ‘Kayden had been the best man for Tyler at their wedding and had always been there for Tyler.’
- ‘They had been close and Harold had been his best man at his wedding in 1942, a year after joining the RAF.’
- ‘The best man and ushers could wear their own suits - not adding anything to the wedding bill.’
- ‘The match coincided with his brother Stephen's wedding, at which John was supposed to be the best man.’
- ‘Most of the school turned out to the wedding and it was her brother that was the best man.’
- ‘Miles will be the best man at the wedding and has a wonderful gift in mind.’
- ‘He is accompanied by three friends, one of whom lost his best man to cancer at the age of just 39.’
- ‘This one ended up being directed at comforting a friend who had been insulted by the best man and was in tears.’
- ‘One I have witnessed at two weddings involves the best man giving out keys to all the men before the reception.’
- ‘Ross questions his decision to make Joey his best man when Joey loses the wedding ring.’
- ‘My best man at my wedding was my brother, but my other attendants were two groomsmaids.’
- ‘One evening as I awaited trial, my brother asked me to be the best man at his wedding.’
- ‘Every best man wants his golfing-drinking-belly-dancing extravaganza to be the most fun any stag has had.’
- ‘At the rehearsal dinner give the best man the envelopes for all fees due at the wedding.’
- ‘One would surmise that Holmes would get suspicious by the fourth or fifth time he was asked to present a ring as the best man.’
- ‘The best man or bridesmaid act as the team runner and make sure everything is okay heading into the big day.’
- ‘Maguire had swapped his armband for the best man role at a wedding.’
- ‘I hadn't seen my oldest friend since being best man at his wedding.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.