Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The better score at a hole of two or more players competing as a team.as modifier ‘a best-ball match’
- ‘The game is net best ball, first-tee do-over, no junk, no gimmes.’
- ‘I played the course about a month ago in a best-ball match.’
- ‘Play just two balls this time for nine holes, but instead of playing the best ball, play the worst.’
- ‘Mickelson and Toms put themselves in position to win by shooting a 15-under par 57 on Saturday in the best-ball format and continued their solid play up until Sunday's final hole.’
- ‘He said he was tired and not keen on the best-ball format.’
- ‘His best ball was the outswinger; though sometimes he made the ball go the other way.’
- ‘I quickly adjusted my game to playing the best ball format that the tournament used.’
- ‘She helped her team win the Crystal Lake Country Club best-ball title.’
- ‘For non-golfing readers (if there are any), this means that all team members tee off, then the best ball is chosen and all players hit from that spot, and so on.’
- ‘It was a best-ball tournament, and I got second place after playing my best ever.’
- ‘Each of the three non-imaginary players gets Mrs. M. as a partner in one six-hole best-ball match against the other two, who play as a team, and everybody plays off Mrs. M's handicap, which is zero.’
- ‘Each team consisted of 12 players and the competition involved best ball, foursomes and singles matches.’
- ‘Second, the tournament is in a scramble format, which means all players will hit their individual ball but play the best ball out of their foursome.’
- ‘It's just like best ball, except opposite: If you or your partner does worse on a hole than both of your opponents, you lose a point.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.