Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A list or collection comprising the best examples of something, especially songs by a particular band or artist.‘yet another Frank Sinatra best-of’as modifier ‘a best-of CD’
- ‘Think of this as a mixed CD and not a best-of, as many selections weren't singles or hits.’
- ‘Witness ‘The Concept’, the first song on both Bandwagonesque and this new best-of.’
- ‘Since our general hope is to make some of the blog's features more easily accessible than they've been, I'm pleased that we've now got our Best-Ofs in place.’
- ‘The final disc, Best of Cash on American, is just that: a 15-song best-of.’
- ‘Hits and misses in the latest batch of best-ofs, reissues and rarities It's possible that even if you're a blues fan, you haven't heard of Ted Horowitz.’
- ‘With that knowledge, it's assumed one doesn't look at this as an album - like most best-ofs - but as an encapsulation of what this band did.’
- ‘Well, I will sort of apologize to myself for putting these best-ofs up so far into the new year, but I'm kind of proud of myself for having managed to do it.’
- ‘For this best-of, they've made the tongue into the number 40, added colouring based on an idea rejected for a lolly by Lyon's Maid, and let that stand.’
- ‘The Canadian version features a wealth of B-sides and best-ofs from their debut, which never saw release north of the border.’
- ‘The albums went out of print, and we sufficed with an aptly named best-of, Ear-Bleeding Country.’
- ‘Drop a best-of, naturally, and top it off with a cover.’
- ‘Boston and Los Angeles Film Critics Check In With Their Best-Ofs for 2006.’
- ‘This particular album is an odd beast from a marketing standpoint, playing like something of a best-of, as the band have taken the time to reexamine their back catalog and give some of it another go.’
- ‘All the news agencies are starting to roll out their best-ofs for 2005.’
- ‘Like all Best Ofs, most of these will appeal to non-fans who havent got any in their collection.’
- ‘And then, perhaps best of all, these 22 budget-priced best-ofs, that are about the best you can get.’
- ‘Together, they make a worthwhile introduction to New Order - except that most of this material is available not only on albums but also on two previous best-ofs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.