One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sprinkle all over with small drops or amounts of a substance.‘he saw his master besprinkled with blood’
splash, bespatter, splatter, spray, sprinkle, spritz, shower, speck, speckle, fleck, mottle, blotch, smear, stain, mark, dirty, soil, daub, coverView synonyms
- ‘It was a dim, old-fashioned chamber, festooned with cobwebs, and besprinkled with antique dust.’
- ‘The very inclusions of the various accusations of Witchcraft, which besprinkle the book, are seemingly against the scientific mindset of the times.’
- ‘His vesture was dabbled in blood - and his broad brow, with all the features of the face, was besprinkled with the scarlet horror.’
- ‘He staggered against the rock, and felt it chill and damp; while a hanging twig, that had been all on fire, besprinkled his cheek with the coldest dew.’
- ‘Before him walked two footmen, leading by the bridle a white hackney, covered with a housing of blue velvet, besprinkled with flowers-de-luce and gold tissue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.