One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sprinkle all over with small drops or amounts of a substance.‘he saw his master besprinkled with blood’
splash, bespatter, splatter, spray, sprinkle, spritz, shower, speck, speckle, fleck, mottle, blotch, smear, stain, mark, dirty, soil, daub, coverView synonyms
- ‘It was a dim, old-fashioned chamber, festooned with cobwebs, and besprinkled with antique dust.’
- ‘Before him walked two footmen, leading by the bridle a white hackney, covered with a housing of blue velvet, besprinkled with flowers-de-luce and gold tissue.’
- ‘His vesture was dabbled in blood - and his broad brow, with all the features of the face, was besprinkled with the scarlet horror.’
- ‘He staggered against the rock, and felt it chill and damp; while a hanging twig, that had been all on fire, besprinkled his cheek with the coldest dew.’
- ‘The very inclusions of the various accusations of Witchcraft, which besprinkle the book, are seemingly against the scientific mindset of the times.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.