One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The besiegers suffered heavy casualties in every assault, while the besieged were forced to call on the services of the old and young who were normally excused military duties.’
- ‘The besiegers grew increasingly desperate during the late winter and early spring as supplies ran terribly short.’
- ‘The defenders ran out of ammunition while the Royalist besiegers kept up the bombardment as though determined to destroy everything opposing them.’
- ‘It also raised the possibility of forcing back the besiegers.’
- ‘The attack, when it came, was ill co-ordinated, and the city resisted with more determination than its besiegers had ever expected.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.