Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘He called as loudly and beseechingly as possible, ‘Please help me!’’
- ‘He pouted at me and said beseechingly, ‘Come here?’’
- ‘She gazed up at him beseechingly. ‘I do not wish our wedding to be spoiled by anything; least of all Papa's disapproval.’’
- ‘And Arthur, looking overwhelmed, turning his eyes on her beseechingly, saying, ‘Tell me it's not real.’’
- ‘He pleaded sweetly, shaking his clasped hands at her beseechingly.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.