Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Accommodation for ships in berths.‘there were more than 12 miles of berthing’
- ‘The new harbour will have an extensive berthing quay, which will be for the larger draft boats in the fishing fleet and other big fishing vessels that wish to berth there.’
- ‘‘We need a spacious place for passenger vessels to dock instead of the current crowded berthing place, which also plays host to a fish auction,’ he said.’
- ‘For ordinary boaters who just enjoyed a quiet cruise, moorage space at other marinas and clubs was not available for some years into the future, including dry berthing.’
- ‘The division is now operating on the 800-acre marine terminal at Jacksonville, which has a mile of continuous berthing and is one of the largest terminals on the east coast.’
- ‘The shortage of sheltered safe berthing forces commercial craft to moor off in stormy conditions with potentially hazardous transfers in open boats.’
- ‘Future work will involve creating a canal basin between Park Bridge and the railway bridge, providing berthing facilities.’
- ‘We need a landing and a berthing port, until such time as a port in the area can facilitate such vessels.’
- ‘The application before the council proposes a new harbour basin to the seaward side of the existing harbour which would include a berthing quay.’
- ‘The Marine Institute Report also recommends that seasonal berthing facilities be provided.’
- ‘The Beauport, for instance, had to remain in the channel on Friday for an hour and a half awaiting berthing space.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the company has unveiled a £200,000 redevelopment of berthing facilities at the bay, which it says now boasts the most modern marina on the lake.’
- ‘It is pointed out that there is no intermediate berthing place for these luxury vessels from the Gulf to the Far East.’
- ‘The berthing piers would remain as a permanent feature of the development of tourism in St Lucia.’
- ‘The key findings of the report show the lack of berthing facilities is hampering further development, as well as the need for ancillary facilities.’
- ‘The vessel will be designed to operate using existing berthing and loading facilities on the Rhine and Danube.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.