One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rifleman or sharpshooter in the Italian army.
sniper, sharpshooter, good shotView synonyms
- ‘Napoleon III's defeat at the battle of Sedan finally made it possible for Italian bersaglieri to enter the Eternal City on 20 September 1870.’
- ‘Before us, in the bersaglieri trench, a bold stove-pipe luxuriates the overcast ceiling with smoke-trails amid argent oriency.’
- ‘When each bersagliere lays a glance upon us, he points without passion up the slope before him.’
- ‘In August - September 1982, 500 Bersaglieri helped to cover the withdrawal of the PLO from Beirut.’
- ‘After being wounded on active service with the elite Bersaglieri on the Italian front, he returned home to promote the theme that Italian soldiers had been stabbed in the back by his erstwhile comrades.’
Italian, from bersaglio ‘target’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.