One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Bearing or covered with berries.often in combination ‘red-berried elder trees’
- ‘To one side is flowering vegetation and to the other an alert exotic bird shrieks from a ball finial beside a potted berried bush and a teapot, insects and butterflies whirl above.’
- ‘In the West we have used our native holly, ivy and mistletoe rather than any other foliage plant or berried bush, sometimes separately, sometimes in combination in the form of a wreath or garland.’
- ‘The stormcock, a fine and appropriate alternative name for the mistle thrush, will defend a berried bush, especially in hard weather, against other birds of the thrush family, blackbirds, song thrushes; and our winter visitors the redwings and fieldfares.’
- ‘If possible, place the bird house near a berried bush or other natural habitat.’
- ‘Yesterday a fat robin visited the brightly berried bush outside my office window.’
2Like a berry or berries, as in flavour or shape.
- ‘Mouth filling and satisfying, the palate is luscious with soft-bodied, full berried flavor.’
- ‘Delicious berried aromas have an herbal tinge that follows through on a medium-bodied palate with juicy flavors and smooth tannins.’
- ‘I have to say that the finish was without a question its saving grace: long, elegant, with a nice dark berried flavor.’
- ‘Full and wholesome attack, lots of berried flavour, the tannins are ripe and aid the persistence.’
- ‘Dark ruby color and multifaceted berried-aromas dominate the typical Pinot Style.’
3(of crustaceans or fish) bearing eggs.
- ‘This paper does not consider options relating to the taking of berried crab as more information is required to assess the efficacy of the different rules’
- ‘There is also a closed season each year too (and it's now) and it is illegal to take berried fish.’
- ‘The fishermen say legislation to protect berried lobsters has been tried before and is unenforceable.’
- ‘Fertilized eggs stick to the bristles of the abdominal legs of the female which is then called a berried crab.’
- ‘Undersized and berried fish must be returned to the sea as soon as possible to ensure their maximum chance of survival.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.