One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fore-and-aft yachting rig with a tall tapering mainsail.
- ‘The rig is heavier than a standard gaff or Bermuda rig of the same sail area (but not by much).’
- ‘They have long overhangs and tall Bermuda rigs and they raced in the Spirit of Tradition Class.’
- ‘The gaff rig has 34 square feet more sail area than does the Bermuda rig.’
- ‘It was a special wish of professor Albert Einstein that the sailing boat was equipped with a Bermuda rig.’
- ‘A gaff is preferable to a Bermuda rig for most offshore conditions.’
- ‘I would like to retain the traditional rig, but limitations caused by inability to reef and danger in raising/lowering the mainsail has provided thought to altering to a more manageable fully battened Bermuda rig.’
- ‘He claims that the efficiency of the junk rig also has other advantages: The sails needn't be made of high-tech materials, and compared to Bermuda rigs, these are the most quiet sails available because they don't slat and snap against the rigging; there isn't any rigging.’
- ‘The sail plan of the original Potter 14 was a Gunter-style, however by 1975, it had been modified to a Bermuda rig.’
- ‘She will easily sail through 90 degree tacks to windward, and off the wind, the Bermuda rig provides excellent performance.’
- ‘Her pre-war owner reported how she once raced from Concarneau to Benodet. - ‘We were home and stowed before the Bermuda rigs came in’.’
- ‘The yachts shown are two cutters, a schooner, a sloop with Bermuda rig much like our modern Marconi rig, and a lugger.’
- ‘Lateens, sprits, gaffs and Bermuda rigs could nuzzle right up to the wind for better speed and maneuverability.’
- ‘One of the main advantages of the boat is the use of a mast and vertical spar to achieve the same mast height and sail area as the Bermuda rig would set.’
- ‘For boats equipped with a Bermuda rig the following rule shall apply.’
- ‘It relates in particular to those battens which are found on the mainsail of a Bermuda rig, i.e. in the most common rig type in sailing boats for leisure use and regatta purposes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.