Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or characteristic of the French philosopher Henri Bergson or his ideas:‘a Bergsonian division between intuition and intellect’
- ‘As we have already suggested, Bergsonian intuition is memory.’
- ‘He offers a Bergsonian interpretation.’
- ‘His style is Bergsonian.’
A follower of the ideas of the French philosopher Henri Bergson:‘half of the most excitable authors of our time have been Bergsonians’
- ‘Will they, he asked, listen to the Bergsonians?’
- ‘We have to take account of the fact that on some very important problems it gives quite definite conclusions which one has to adopt if one wishes to be called a Bergsonian.’
- ‘Certainly incarnation must be conceived of by a Bergsonian as qualitative and not quantitative.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.