One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural bergies, Plural BergiesSouth African
- ‘This is the first ever documentary about the Bergies, a unique homeless community living on the streets of Cape Town, South Africa.’
- ‘His acclaimed debut as documentary director/producer, The Bergies of Cape Town, achieved international success, and was described as ‘magnificent.’’
- ‘There has been an increase in vagrants and Bergies and huge antisocial behaviour.’
- ‘Two Bergies slept in the front garden outside our bedroom window Saturday night.’
- ‘The term Bergie originates from the Berg, and has connotations, according to prejudice, that Bergies are members of hillbilly clans.’
From Dutch berg ‘mountain’ + the informal suffix -ie.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.