Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An evergreen Asian plant with large, thick leaves and typically pink, red, or purple flowers.
- ‘However, February is quite early for bergenias to flower, their blooming period is usually between March and May, so I remain optimistic that mine will prove their worth this year.’
- ‘Three plants which make an exciting selection for spring colour are aubrietia, pulsatilla and bergenia.’
- ‘There are plump, pink buds on the bergenias, and small, white flowers coming on the pulmonarias.’
- ‘Splashes of yellow and pink are supplied by clumps of daffodils and bergenia.’
- ‘If you have little time, choose easy-care plants such as bergenia, skimmia and Viburnum davidii and avoid annuals and bedding plants that need regular watering and feeding.’
Modern Latin, named after Karl A. von Bergen (1704–60), German botanist and physician.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.