Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An evergreen Asian plant with large, thick leaves and typically pink, red, or purple flowers.
- ‘Three plants which make an exciting selection for spring colour are aubrietia, pulsatilla and bergenia.’
- ‘If you have little time, choose easy-care plants such as bergenia, skimmia and Viburnum davidii and avoid annuals and bedding plants that need regular watering and feeding.’
- ‘There are plump, pink buds on the bergenias, and small, white flowers coming on the pulmonarias.’
- ‘However, February is quite early for bergenias to flower, their blooming period is usually between March and May, so I remain optimistic that mine will prove their worth this year.’
- ‘Splashes of yellow and pink are supplied by clumps of daffodils and bergenia.’
Modern Latin, named after Karl A. von Bergen (1704–60), German botanist and physician.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.