One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen Asian plant with large, thick leaves and typically pink, red, or purple flowers.
- ‘There are plump, pink buds on the bergenias, and small, white flowers coming on the pulmonarias.’
- ‘However, February is quite early for bergenias to flower, their blooming period is usually between March and May, so I remain optimistic that mine will prove their worth this year.’
- ‘If you have little time, choose easy-care plants such as bergenia, skimmia and Viburnum davidii and avoid annuals and bedding plants that need regular watering and feeding.’
- ‘Splashes of yellow and pink are supplied by clumps of daffodils and bergenia.’
- ‘Three plants which make an exciting selection for spring colour are aubrietia, pulsatilla and bergenia.’
Modern Latin, named after Karl A. von Bergen (1704–60), German botanist and physician.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.