Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for iceberg
- ‘The bergs, driven towards the lake outlet by katabatic winds, become stranded as they move into shallower waters.’
- ‘In the 1990s a berg the size of Oxfordshire broke off the Antarctic ice shelf and was widely hailed as proof of global warming.’
- ‘Eventually the berg struck the glacier with only a glancing blow, nevertheless breaking off enough of the ice tongue that maps of the region needed redrawing.’
- ‘There are some antiseptic-blue overtones to it, too, and a whole spectrum of greens where the berg descends into the depths out of sight.’
- ‘Kooyman said the site visits confirm what the photographic evidence appeared to show: ice conditions produced by the collisions of the giant bergs with the shoreline’
1A mountain or hill.
mountain, hill, height, alp, aiguille, serac, puy, crag, tor, inselbergView synonyms
- ‘Higher up on the berg slopes we came across one of the Protea family that grow in selected spots in this mountain area.’
- ‘When hiking in the berg it is always important to take into account the unpredictability of the weather and come prepared for any eventuality.’
- ‘Snow is frequent in winter and the temperature, particularly on the high berg can plunge to a teeth-chattering minus 18C.’
- ‘Hikes here are more often than not gentle strolls through the exquisite valleys. However, should the high berg beckon, it comes no higher than here.’
- ‘The main problem with high berg caves is that they cannot be booked with any surety, since parties doing longer traverses from other areas often work on the assumption that these high altitude caves are seldom used, and they may get there before you.’
- 1.1 The Drakensberg mountain range.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.