One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bitter yellow compound of the alkaloid class, obtained from barberry and other plants.
- ‘The staining pattern was similar to that obtained with berberine - aniline blue.’
- ‘Goldenseal is rich in an antibiotic compound called berberine.’
- ‘The glucose-lowering effect of berberine decreased as the glucose concentration increased.’
- ‘In an uncontrolled trial of 137 children ranging from five months to 14 years, berberine was administered in one of four regimens.’
- ‘Berberine hemi-sulphate is an acid salt of the alkaloid berberine, which has been used supposedly to confirm the presence of suberin in plant roots.’
Early 19th century: from berberis + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.