Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[as modifier] Of or denoting the radical —CH2C6H5, derived from toluene.‘benzyl benzoate’
- ‘Treating carpets with tannic acid or benzyl benzoate can remove some dust mite residue, but such chemicals must be applied repeatedly and can worsen allergies in some people.’
- ‘It contained benzyl salicylate and benzyl cinnamate - neither of which is on the current approved list of sun filters.’
- ‘More recently, topical benzyl benzoate and lindane were mainstays of therapy.’
- ‘Many chemicals found in common perfumes and fragrances are designated as ‘hazardous’, including methylene chloride, toluene, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, ethyl alcohol and benzyl chloride.’
- ‘Compounds that protect against sun damage include such things as titanium dioxide, para amino benzoic acid, and benzyl cinnamate.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.