One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound which is the major carcinogen present in cigarette smoke, and also occurs in coal tar.
- ‘NER is the main mechanism used to remove pyrimidine dimers induced by UV cross-linking or chemical damage such as those caused by benzopyrene, aflatoxin, and cisplatin.’
- ‘Burnt toast (and, for that matter, barbecued or smoked meats) contains increased levels of a known carcinogen, benzopyrene.’
- ‘Although legally imported olive oil has passed the required quarantine inspection, he admitted that the examination of the controversial benzopyrene is not included in the normal importation inspection.’
- ‘Wood fires can also release benzopyrene, a carcinogen that can irritate your eyes, nose, throat, and lungs.’
- ‘Researchers estimated that every day the average infant under the age of two in urban America ingested 110 nanograms of benzopyrene, equivalent to smoking three cigarettes a day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.