Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A fragrant gum resin obtained from a tropical East Asian tree, used in medicines, perfumes, and incense.
- ‘With every step a new aroma seemed to leap out of the darkness - succulent summer flowers here, earthy woods there, benzoin, pumpkin spice even.’
- ‘Then we added the addiction of patchouli, the softness of benzoin and the creaminess of sandalwood.’
- ‘Bismuth or benzoin should not be applied until after the laser has been shut down completely.’
- ‘Maceration is the only feasible method of producing a tincture from an unorganized drug such as gum benzoin or propolis resin.’
- ‘When the mixture begins to cool, add twelve drops of lemon juice and six drops of tincture of benzoin, while still continuing to stir.’
A white crystalline aromatic ketone present in benzoin resin.
- ‘Benzoin and its derivatives are used as intermediates for the synthesis of organic compounds and as catalysts in photopolymerization.’
- ‘Typical examples are aromatic ketones such as acetophenone, benzophenone, benzoin ethyl ether and benzyl dimethyl ketal.’
- ‘The benzoin molecule has a C=O bond as well, but bonded to two other carbons, thus it is a ketone.’
- ‘Although benzoin and benzoic acid had been called aromatics before 1820, it was not until the 1850s that benzene and its derivatives were placed in the chemical family of aromatics.’
- ‘Stereochemically and functionally rich polycyclic compounds are obtained by the first crossed aldehyde-ketone benzoin reaction in excellent yield under mild reaction conditions.’
Mid 16th century: from French benjoin, based on Arabic lubānjāwī incense of Java.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.