One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic crystalline compound which is used as a local anaesthetic.
- ‘Over-the-counter drugs such as carbamide peroxide, benzocaine, menthol, or eucalyptol can lessen the pain.’
- ‘Some women find colposcopy very painful while others hardly notice it, according to a clinical trial testing topical benzocaine and ibuprofen against placebo.’
- ‘An ear drop for pain relief is one that normally contains an anesthetic or an anti-inflammatory, such as an analgesic otic solution or an earache drop comprising antipyrine or benzocaine.’
- ‘Local anaesthetics - for example benzocaine, lignocaine are used in both lozenges and throat sprays.’
- ‘Prior to insertion, the nasopharynx and oropharynx should be anesthetized with a topical spray such as benzocaine.’
1920s: from benzoic acid + -caine (from cocaine).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.