Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tablet of Benzedrine.
- ‘A bottle of Johnnie Walker Black, a spliff of sinsemilla, a Quaalude, benny, Valium - it didn't matter, as long as it took the edge off.’
- ‘For decades, the military has been trying to figure out ways to keep soldiers awake and alert in the field - for days at a time. Back in the 60s, that meant some pretty hair-raising experiments with everything from bennies to LSD.’
- ‘I remember seeing a letter that he wrote outlining very seriously his regimen for writing, which would include methodically drinking so much, and then taking half of a benny, and so on.’
- ‘This is probably my sixth or seventh book, but as Jack Kerouac says, you've just got to stick at it with the energy of a benny addict.’
- ‘Percodan and bennies, he thought, coughing; breakfast of champions.’
A benefit attached to employment; a perk.‘we can be flexible on pay and bennies’
- ‘Finally, the number of employers offering health care benefits continues to decline; employees lucky enough to have bennies find their share of the cost increasing.’
- ‘And unlike you and I, who get the same amount of health insurance and such no matter how much overtime we work, these guys often have their bennies multiplied by the same factor as their overtime.’
- ‘Most of the uninsured are small business owners or working people whose employers can't afford bennies.’
- ‘They pointed out that these numbers include some of the ‘hidden unemployed’ - those who are no longer drawing unemployment bennies, but still looking for work.’’
- ‘You have to pay your own health insurance, self-employment tax, all of those bennies that an employee would normally receive automatically, you don't.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.