One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for sesame
- ‘Still made in the same time-honored tradition, these gift cookies are thin, crisp cookies, laden with crunchy benne seeds and sweetened with a blend of maple and brown sugar for a true one-of-a-kind taste.’
- ‘Long known as "the seed of good luck," the rich flavor of the benne seed has graced Southern recipes for generations.’
- ‘Toasting benne seeds develop their flavor and also gives these cookies a slightly crunchy texture.’
- ‘Remove from heat and beat in benne seed.’
- ‘Often referred to as benne wafers, these cookie crisps get their tasty texture and flavor from toasted sesame seeds.’
Mid 18th century: from Malay bene.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.