One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘He smiles benignly, but I would be truly surprised if we met again.’
- ‘The city bristles with billboards, the Chief Minister's face looking down benignly on commuters, urging them to pay their electricity bills on time and online.’
- ‘This mainly seemed to involve me talking too much with the actors nodding benignly.’
- ‘The team looked on benignly because, at that stage, they were level and the game was turning their way.’
- ‘Then the colonial governments had the idea, benignly intended, of protecting the peasant growers from the fluctuations of the marketplace.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.