One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘This mainly seemed to involve me talking too much with the actors nodding benignly.’
- ‘The city bristles with billboards, the Chief Minister's face looking down benignly on commuters, urging them to pay their electricity bills on time and online.’
- ‘The team looked on benignly because, at that stage, they were level and the game was turning their way.’
- ‘Then the colonial governments had the idea, benignly intended, of protecting the peasant growers from the fluctuations of the marketplace.’
- ‘He smiles benignly, but I would be truly surprised if we met again.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.