Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tiger of a subspecies found in parts of India, Bangladesh, and elsewhere in South Asia:‘despite having one of the highest tiger populations, the Bengal tiger is now exceedingly rare in the wild’
- ‘In India, when tracking the Bengal tiger, patience, and a sense of privilege, not entitlement, is indeed a virtue.’
- ‘The Royal Bengal Tiger once again is a major attraction, now that the zoo has been reopened.’
- ‘The Royal Bengal tiger, which had charmed the zoo authorities with his "friendliness" and "affectionate behaviour," was reared by the zoo authorities.’
- ‘Churning masses of humanity, sunsets, temples and mountains all come alive as do the magnificent Bengal tigers to which the film is a tribute.’
- ‘The park is among India's largest tracts of bush forest, a unique habitat for the Bengal tiger.’
- ‘A village in the north of India has been plagued by a man-eating Bengal tiger.’
- ‘Bengal tigers are listed as 'endangered', numbering less than 1,500 in the whole of India.’
- ‘When the ship capsized due to a massive storm, Pi finds himself in the company of a hyena, an orangutan, a wounded zebra and a 450-pound Bengal tiger aboard a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean.’
- ‘The zoo at the moment has five Bengal tigers - three male and two female.’
- ‘The love of her life was Rajah, a Bengal tiger acquired as a tiny cub and reared by hand.’
- ‘Sea-level rise could cause the disappearance of vast swaths of this region, and along with them species such as the famed Bengal tiger.’
- ‘A Bengal tiger, a tiger this size, can take down a water buffalo in less than 30 seconds to a minute.’
- ‘Located between Teesta and Mahananda rivers, the forest has rich wildlife, including elephants, Indian gaurs, spotted deer, barking deer, leopards and even Bengal tigers.’
- ‘The outer wall of the Bengal tiger enclosure was constructed in 1982-83.’
- ‘For felines all over the world - from docile house cats to Bengal tigers - clawing is an essential characteristic of being a cat.’
- ‘You are seeing a live shot of Taj, a nearly extinct white Bengal tiger.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.