One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of firework giving off a blue flame and used for lighting or signalling.
- ‘Shortly before the stroke of the midnight bell, the International Hotel burst out in a blaze of colored Bengal lights which illuminated the streets in a beautiful manner.’
- ‘During the 14 month siege, the surprise attacks of the enemy were frustrated by the frequent use of Bengal lights, and at intervals incandescent globes of fire were hurled from catapults at the enemy.’
- ‘Castles, chateaux and ruins shine in the Bengal lights and the evening fireworks.’
- ‘The children were having a real good time, either with Bengal lights or thundering firecrackers.’
- ‘The lights were called Bengal lights and were the kind used at sea to signal for help or give warning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.