One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being well meaning; kindness.
kindness, kind-heartedness, big-heartedness, goodness, goodwill, benignity, compassion, consideration, thoughtfulness, decency, public-spiritedness, social conscience, charity, charitableness, altruism, humanity, humanitarianism, philanthropismView synonyms
- ‘As Confucius saw long ago, benevolence or concern for humanity is the indispensable root of it all.’
- ‘Any positive act of benevolence or good will is one that could be considered sacred.’
- ‘After all, how can we expect a person who is cruel to small creatures to show kindness and benevolence to his countrymen?’
- ‘They have repeatedly given up their time to save lives and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their benevolence.’
- ‘The disaster left the world in great grief, but it has responded with unprecedented benevolence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.