Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A single-decker bus consisting of two rigid vehicles linked together by a flexible section.
- ‘Perhaps we could have the bendy buses back or some of the many double-deckers that are half full on lesser routes.’
- ‘The bendy buses do cause congestion which leads to pollution.’
- ‘Portsmouth have got their act together with an infrastructure that's compatible with bendy buses.’
- ‘I just took the bendy bus on the 38 today.’
- ‘Planning to replace only bendy buses won't reinstate Routemasters on their traditional routes.’
- ‘State-of-the-art bendy buses are being bumped off Southampton streets for good by troublesome speed ramps.’
- ‘Bendy buses are totally inadequate for London roads - far too long to negotiate many of London's narrow streets safely.’
- ‘The rest, it seemed, would wait for the bendy bus.’
- ‘My nephew said he saw a double decker bendy bus on the M62 the other week.’
- ‘For them the great epochal challenge facing London is bendy buses.’
- ‘Transport for London have come up with what they hope will be a solution to this problem - bendy buses.’
- ‘I think I'll hop on the free bendy bus to Whitechapel instead.’
- ‘Yes, we're talking the purging of bendy buses.’
- ‘There is no doubt that the replacement for the bendy buses will lead to a worse service for Londoners.’
- ‘I am no great fan of bendy buses.’
- ‘Ah, happy days - you couldn't do that with a bendy bus.’
- ‘You'd never choose to view the Christmas lights down Oxford Street, for example, from a bendy bus.’
- ‘Regular readers will recall that three bendy buses last year spontaneously combusted, provoking a temporary withdrawal of the entire fleet.’
- ‘Last week the 507 was operated by the "writhing whales of the road" - Boris's much-derided bendy buses.’
- ‘In July, the Daily Echo told how bendy buses were being forced off certain routes through Southampton by free-standing speed humps.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.