One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bend over into a stooping position.‘the boy bent double and disappeared inside the hide’
- ‘William Gallas bent double to make contact with the ball but his glancing touch could direct it only on to the post.’
- ‘I for one, was utterly helpless, tears rolling down my cheeks, bent double with hysterics.’
- ‘Seth was winded and he gasped for breath while bent double and holding his stomach.’
- ‘Peggy was blind and her sister almost bent double with arthritis.’
- ‘Except for summer weekends when he spent all his time bent double in the garden, digging or weeding.’
- ‘With a lead singer belting out strong vocals, twin guitars, and a bass player bent double most of the time this was an act to watch as well as listen to.’
- ‘Mariana stood with the rest of the congregation until her grief overwhelmed her and the force of her sobs left her bent double and clinging to friends for support.’
- ‘The rain lashed down and the wind howled, trees bending double with the force of it, but still they continued on their journey.’
- ‘For the 57-year-old, who suffers from osteoporosis and arthritis, could not walk unaided and was bent double in agony because her hips had virtually worn away.’
- ‘Forward planning will minimise your chances of spending Monday morning bent double in pain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.