One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bend over into a stooping position.‘the boy bent double and disappeared inside the hide’
- ‘Seth was winded and he gasped for breath while bent double and holding his stomach.’
- ‘With a lead singer belting out strong vocals, twin guitars, and a bass player bent double most of the time this was an act to watch as well as listen to.’
- ‘Peggy was blind and her sister almost bent double with arthritis.’
- ‘Forward planning will minimise your chances of spending Monday morning bent double in pain.’
- ‘I for one, was utterly helpless, tears rolling down my cheeks, bent double with hysterics.’
- ‘The rain lashed down and the wind howled, trees bending double with the force of it, but still they continued on their journey.’
- ‘For the 57-year-old, who suffers from osteoporosis and arthritis, could not walk unaided and was bent double in agony because her hips had virtually worn away.’
- ‘Except for summer weekends when he spent all his time bent double in the garden, digging or weeding.’
- ‘William Gallas bent double to make contact with the ball but his glancing touch could direct it only on to the post.’
- ‘Mariana stood with the rest of the congregation until her grief overwhelmed her and the force of her sobs left her bent double and clinging to friends for support.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.