Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make every effort to achieve something, especially to be fair or helpful:‘we have bent over backwards to ensure a fair trial for the defendants’
try one's hardest, try as hard as one can, do one's best, do one's utmost, do all one can, give one's all, make every effortstrive, struggle, apply oneself, exert oneself, work hard, endeavour, trydo one's damnedest, go all out, pull out all the stops, bust a gut, move heaven and earth, give it one's best shotgo for the doctortry, attempt, venture, undertake, aspire, aim, seek, set outView synonyms
- ‘And I just want to say that I have bent over backwards to be fair to minority interests.’
- ‘To be fair, my dad always bent over backwards for us to fit in, but not lose a sense of who we are.’
- ‘It's little wonder governments are bending over backwards in a desperate attempt to create a ‘business-friendly environment’.’
- ‘The military are falling over backwards to help.’
- ‘But I draw the line at being so accommodating and respectful of the views of others that we lean over backwards so far that we fall over.’
- ‘That is what the government is demanding firefighters accept after their union has bent over backwards to seek compromise over their pay claim.’
- ‘The council should be falling over backwards to work with the Civil Service Sports Council to bring this £7 million development to York.’
- ‘And I think this judge bent over backwards to ensure a fair trial and a verdict that would not be reversed on appeal.’
- ‘Now they have discovered, after bending over backwards with effort and capital, the market had diminished alarmingly.’
- ‘You know we bend over backwards in work to be helpful and polite to people.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.