One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The member of a surf life-saving team who swims out, wearing a belt with a line attached for safety, to give assistance to bathers or surfers in difficulties.
- ‘On a pistol start the beltman jumps into the belt while the linesmen and reelman sprint to their positions feeding line out for the beltman who is racing to swim to the buoys.’
- ‘Each beltman is assisted by a team who man the reel and help pay the line out to the swimmer.’
- ‘As beltman, he swam out to rescue the 'patient'.’
- ‘Eventually after three hours four beltmen had reached us and the rescue was completed.’
- ‘One of the team, known as the beltman, would swim out to the person in trouble, wearing a belt attached to a line which unrolled from a reel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.