One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In the basement of a house as occupied by servants.
- ‘The exhibition explores life above and below stairs, examining the role of women as decision makers raising dynasties and workhorses in service.’
- ‘As well as in nurseries, it is likely that Black Beauty was distributed lavishly below stairs - as were tracts and ‘improving’ moral tales designed to reconcile Victorian servants to their lot.’
- ‘It's a fascinating story of life below stairs at Buckingham Palace.’
- ‘In so doing, he heard the street gossip, upstairs as well as below stairs.’
- ‘The Princess visited the stately home to open its new exhibition tracing the lives of lifestyles of former staff - and she revealed that she had spent time below stairs on childhood visits to the house.’
- ‘Life below stairs is just as complicated as life above.’
- ‘Historically, the right harboured desires to keep the white working class below stairs.’
- ‘From the seven bedrooms on the first floor, to the nine reception rooms on the ground floor, to the staff quarters below stairs, the apartment is the epitome of elegance.’
- ‘And this is less than half the cast, because half the action takes place below stairs, where the servants live.’
- ‘And this collection shows them to be a fascinating glimpse of the hidden world below stairs, and class and power relationships.’
- ‘After a protest he was later moved to a sweeter smelling room, although still below stairs.’
- ‘As if waiting for them to say something, there was a blast from below stairs.’
- ‘Later I realised it was because I didn't fit in; above or below stairs.’
- ‘It was a serious house with a beautiful grey salon, but I was well below stairs with no carpet, just stone floors.’
- ‘With an obedient nod, she turned for the door that led to the servants' quarters, below stairs.’
- ‘Servants, a new drama series set below stairs in an English country house in the 1850s, starts filming for BBC ONE’
- ‘She was known below stairs as ‘Lady Jane’; a social-climber whose devotion to her Duchess, and mock-Royal mannerisms, amused and disturbed her colleagues in equal measure.’
- ‘He strode out of the room and finished dressing in the hallway before going below stairs to find the innkeeper's wife.’
- ‘Servants is a bold and irreverent drama series set below stairs in a country house in 1850s England.’
- ‘Stately piles, where below stairs was once strictly out of bounds, are busily restoring their kitchens and servants' quarters to allow us to see how ‘ordinary’ life was lived in centuries past.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.