Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small surfboard ridden in a prone position.‘the kids were up early to hit the surf, decked out with buckets, spades, and bellyboards’
- ‘Not all surfboard manufacturers made Bellyboards.’
- ‘I was on my way with my bellyboard but then chickened out.’
- ‘In the southwest of England through the counties of Devon and Cornwall, these bellyboards are still in wide use, even so much as to have their own championships and organisation.’
- ‘I rode a Styrofoam bellyboard, one of the cheap flimsy types you can find in tourist shops.’
- ‘Modern surfing techniques as well as the modern stand-up board, nonetheless, were influenced by the bellyboard.’
- ‘I had won a fine pair of vintage trunks on ebay that were the inspiration behind the paintjob for my bellyboard.’
- ‘The bellyboard is painstakingly hand sanded and polished to a beautiful sheen using linseed oil, turps and beeswax.’
- ‘My Other Half, who normally surfs a longboard and looked down his nose at my foam boogieboard, tried my bellyboard once and was hooked!’
- ‘The board you've bought is a bellyboard, used in waves and very popular in England from the 1930s onwards.’
- ‘I practised on my bellyboard, and was surprised at how not scary it was.’
- ‘These beautiful precursors to the bellyboard were also known as "hotel boards" because they were loaned by the hotels to their guests for personal use.’
- ‘Conversely, some bellyboards were like shorter versions of stand-up boards.’
- ‘I'm thinking of making a bellyboard just as a novelty and to pass away a few hours (not neglecting my standup).’
- ‘You can hire Malibu boards and the more popular traditional plywood belly-boards from local shops.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.