Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A loud unrestrained laugh.‘her mutter of amusement blossomed into an enormous belly laugh’
- ‘Whatever it was, Jimmy could bend you over in a belly laugh with a humorous aside and then straighten you up with a devastating critique of foreign policy - all in the same sentence.’
- ‘The large man smiled and let out a deep belly laugh.’
- ‘In the comments, you offered several thousand people a belly laugh at your expense - was that the point?’
- ‘He got a big belly laugh out of that, which made me like him more.’
- ‘I found Barron very funny, but it was more of a quiet chuckle than a belly laugh.’
- ‘I have to confess that I always get a good belly laugh out of such nonsense.’
- ‘The old woman's face cracked into a smile as her deep belly laugh ruptured and blared until I was sure everyone in the neighborhood had heard it.’
- ‘Let's hope we can all finish this grim year off with a huge riotous belly laugh.’
- ‘Hardly a minute goes by without a chuckle or a belly laugh.’
- ‘Jose looks stunned, then breaks into a deep belly laugh.’
- ‘Thanks to MWO, this transcript gave me a real belly laugh.’
- ‘After having an hour-long belly laugh about the misfortunes of the party I despise so much, I wondered what kind of impact this might have on the Canadian political scene, especially on the federal level.’
- ‘He lets out a belly laugh, knowing that I've caught the dripping irony in his voice.’
- ‘Inglewood could not restrain a deep belly laugh.’
- ‘He throws back his head and laughs a deep belly laugh.’
- ‘Wouldn't a friendship be better if it could absorb the energy of teasing and laugh a big belly laugh?’
- ‘Thanks to its readers and comic enthusiasts, who apparently love paradoxes and a good belly laugh about them, the monthly magazine has survived the financial crisis of its second year and now has gradually become a comic icon in Bali.’
- ‘Around 16 million adults, totalling 40 per cent, said they failed to muster even one proper belly laugh in an average day.’
- ‘People have probably noticed that they feel a lot better after a good belly laugh.’
- ‘But then where would the belly laugh have been in that?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.